Sunday, October 20, 2013

#30daychallenge Day 11

Hello guys! I am back FINALLY with another #30daychallenge!
I know it's been eons since my last writing challenge, but my fingers are itching to type something tonight so here it is! Hope you guys enjoy!


#30daychallenge Day 11 
Post a photo of the outdoors // Write about life



Okay! I randomly scrolled through my photos and this is the one that first caught my eye, so I'm gonna use this one! This was taken just around a month and a half ago, at East Coast Park, Singapore. That day, my phone decided not to fail me, and I'm really glad it actually managed to capture the actual colours of the landscape (most of the time, the pictures my phone captures are just, duller than usual).

So, first thing that comes to mind when I look at this? Tranquility. Like, the "Tree of Tranquility" in the Harvest Moon series. But honestly, I love the blend of colours in the photo. It's like green, blue, white and a tinge of golden all mixed together to paint the most pretty scenery ever.

That afternoon, we took a really long walk along the stretch of East Coast Beach, looking for my friend's birthday chalet. I remember the sun was really high above us in the sky, and the weather was scorching so badly. Then we passed this pond, and stood under the trees for a while for some shade. When I was younger, I used to frequent ECP alot, since my grandmother's house was super nearby. When the clock struck 5pm, we would dig out all our pails and shovels, walk through the long echo-y tunnel and sprint the straight path right to the beach. We would dump our sandcastle-building equipment near the edge of the water, jump into the sea and splash each other with water, and then climb out again and start to challenge each other to see who could build the largest and prettiest sandcastle. I remember my grandmother would lay out a bamboo mat and sit down, yelling at us not to go too deep into the water. Sometimes, she would help us build the sandcastles patiently, while we went off to pick seashells. After we went back to her house, she would make us stand in a row, fetch a large pail of water and make us wash our feet before she would let us enter the living room. Those were the times man.

Anyway, back to the topic. I remember in those times, we were so fascinated when we first saw the pond. We ran right up to the edge of it and peered inside. Turtles! So many of them, we couldn't even count. They would peek their wrinkly heads out of the water to look at us, then dart back in as quickly as possible. We would bring bread to throw to them, and they would gobble the crumbs up with a greedy expression on their faces. We loved the pond.

Now, many years later, the memories slowly flow back as I stood there in the exact same spot, looking out into the middle of the pond. The turtles (at least majority of them) were no longer there. We could make out the outline of schools of grey fishes though, but as our shadows touched the water, they seemed to dissolve deep below the water's surface, until we couldn't see them anymore. The pond was stagnant, unlike the ripples that would form every few seconds in the past. There was a slight sea breeze, so the trees rustled really softly. We just stood there, drinking in the scenery before us. It was just a normal pond surrounded by really moist, damp grass, but it was more than that for me.

The green grass, the (murky) greenish-blue pond water, the sky littered with white fluffy clouds, all this blended together in an amazing way. Life; isn't it a blend of random sights that together make a more than perfect picture?

We happened to glance towards our right, and we spotted under the shade of the leaves a tent. Two people were inside of it, presumably catching some shut-eye on that quiet, humid afternoon. There was hardly anyone else around. Just us, the two sleeping people, and the slight breeze that blew past us. Life's Secret Garden.


2 comments:

  1. WA you make me feel grateful for all the simple things in life with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY FIRST COMMENT. Haha comment more leh. (:

    ReplyDelete