Monday, January 20, 2014

Within.

Hello guys! School has started, and since this is my last semester, I have been trying to enjoy the last time I can be a university student (or any formal student for that matter) and so far, I have been doing that! Constantly wondering how much of all this elements of school life I will miss when I finally leave, and deep down in my heart, I know that I will, a whole lot and then some more. It's been hectic so far, despite it only being Week 2, but God is good to me and I have been allocated all the modules that I wanted (and needed) and almost all the tutorial slots I balloted for. Thank You for that :D

Today, I had dinner with a friend in school, and by the time I took the train and bus and walked home, it was already nightfall. I reached the elevator of my block, and I noticed an elderly woman and her domestic helper walking towards the same direction as me. The old lady was hobbling and walking really slowly, the maid walked beside her and supported her with one arm. I pressed the lift button, and waited for the lift to come down 9 storeys. I was really tired and just wanted nothing to do more than to step inside my house and embrace my bed. It took some time for the duo to reach the lift, and then the old woman took a bit more time to hobble inside the lift with the assistance of her helper. She looked really glum and uncaring to her surroundings, so the first thought that came to my mind was what a sullen, fierce looking person she must be.

How wrong I was, because while we were halfway up in the lift, she happened to turn towards me, and I caught a glance in her way as well, and her frowning face changed immediately into a jovial one. I smiled back at her out of courtesy. When the lift arrived at my floor, I looked at her again, and she smiled a second time, even wider and happier-looking than the first one. I bade her goodbye and walked out, the lift doors closing behind me. Frankly, I was really surprised at how the human expression can change so fast. I don't personally know this old lady, all I know now is that she stays on one of the floors above my house, and even that I am not entirely sure. However, when she smiled at me, a cuddly warmth filled my heart because she looked so appreciative that I held the lift door open for her. When people say a picture paints a thousand words, it is true, but I guess that means that a smile paints ten thousand then? And smiles go a long way too (: It is definitely difficult to explain, but all the urgency to get home vanished in just that instant, replaced by a certain contentedness that I don't usually feel. Thank you to this old lady that brightened up my lethargic Monday with your warmth and happiness. I hope to bump into you again.

And also a side note to self, don't judge a book by its cover, don't judge people based on physical appearances and first impressions. Have a great week ahead all! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment