Monday, May 20, 2013

#30daychallenge Day 4

For Day 4, I decided to touch on the topic of Work and what experiences I had that holds significance for me. I have worked in quite a number of jobs before, from administrative duties to teaching to dealing with children and even selling books now. Most of the time, I look out for jobs that aren't too demanding because 
1) I am a slacker and
2) They are part-time jobs which are meant to be fun (right?)

Okay that kinda portrays me in a negative light, but I don't believe in slogging my guts out just to earn some money. Maybe my views would change when I actually enter the working world, but not for now haha. I can only think of one job that has brought me so much personal satisfaction, it's like you develop a compelling urge to go back to the place, just to experience what you felt when you had the job, again and again. The original post that I wrote for the #30daychallenge is really in quite a hideous state, so I shall replace it with a nicer sounding post from back when I had just left the job (March 2012?) due to school commitments. Enjoy enjoy!

The highlight of my Tuesday has definitely got to be visiting the kids at Tiong Bahru. I was really apprehensive at first, even coming up with reasons to bail out from going back to the student care to see the kids, what if they had forgotten me/were not glad to see me there?

I went anyway. Spent a fortune on chocolate for them, plus an umbrella (no thanks to the rain for intensifying immediately when I got out from NTUC). Got drenched anyway but made it to the centre in time! My fears just flew away when I opened the front door, because the kids DID remember me. What’s more, even those that I weren't close to were waving to me so enthusiastically from the classroom in the midst of their tuition. The kids from Tamp were coincidentally there that day too, and my heart totally melted when the young ones bounced out from the room and flew into my arms. Like literally ran to hug me. I asked the same question to every kid I saw ‘Do you remember me?’ and all of them did. I was really surprised.

Sat with them, talking to them and coloring drawing with them, it was like the most natural thing to do ever. Had a hearty chat with one of the teachers there too, she’s new and was from NUS before too! So she gave me some advice. Always glad to talk to someone new.
The hardest thing to do today was probably to pack up and leave the place cos it was getting really dark. I announced that I was going,all the kids came to my side and started grabbing my hands, begging me not to leave. I still remember this conversation between me and this boy who used to be so mischievous I couldn't stand him.

Boy: “Teacher, what time are you going home?”
Me: “Soon! What time are you staying until?”
Boy: “9pm, I have tuition. Stay with me until that time please?”
Me: “Cannot lah, I live so far away and I have school tomorrow.”
Boy: Please? I’ll ask my parents to drive you all the way home after my tuition.”

I found this incredibly endearing, coming from someone who always refused to listen to me, get every assignment I set him wrong, tease me all the time and the list goes on.

Today I was happy to the point I didn't want to leave the centre. I really wish it was December again, so I could go to work everyday and be in the company of these darlings. They drive me crazy, but they are so innocent and sweet as well. Today, I heard more ‘I miss you’s’ and ‘I love you’s’ than I ever heard in this whole first quarter of the year. And its really, really heartwarming. To think that these sweet words came from children that are like barely half my age. They may be young, but they have the most mature mindsets I have ever seen. 

Gotta love these kids. I really miss every single one of you. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment