Tuesday, May 21, 2013

#30daychallenge Day 5!

This was what I wrote yesterday for my #30daychallenge hehe! I'm finding this project more and more fun, so bear with me if my posts get longer and longer. Here is the (slightly edited) post, fresh from yesterday!


 A Song To Match Your Mood
20th May 2013

Stole this topic off a list on Pinterest because I have temporarily run out of creative juices to think of new themes. Hmmm I love music and am open to all kinds of genres (except maybe those that are so loud and noisy I can't hear the lyrics 99% of the time.. defeats the purpose of a song don't you think?). And I think it's safe to say that most of us have different songs for different occasions  like sometimes when you hear a particular song on the radio and you are immediately transported back through time and feel this rush of nostalgia flooding your inner being? I think it's really fascinating how I see songs as indications for different seasons in my life, and they serve so effectively as time markers as well, don't they?

I actually really love Chinese songs (and I - surprise!- listen to them more than English songs). Somehow they tend to sound more meaningful and relatable, and that's what I think a song should be able to capture. I thought long and hard about what song matches what I am feeling now, and it was really kind of difficult. Most of the time, I feel a myriad of emotions all jumbled together, instead of just one. And there's probably only one song I can think of that is capable of sounding nostalgic and optimistic at the same time. One of my absolutely favorite songs from my favorite Chinese singer, Jay Zhou! ^^

稻香 (Dao Xiang) a.k.a Fragrant Rice. 
This song has a strong country feel to it, and is mainly about not being pre-occupied with trying to satisfy everyone's demands of you until you forget everything else. I love it not only because it sounds really catchy, but also hits back home to what should be a priority for everybody.

請你打開電視看看多少人為生命在努力勇敢的走下去
我們是不是該知足, 珍惜一切 就算沒有擁有
(Please turn on the television now and see for yourself, so many people bravely fighting for their lives
Shouldn't we be content and cherish what we have, even if we don't possess them?)

Many a time, we are so concerned with meeting deadlines and trying to chase a certain goal, that we minimize our peripheral vision and cloud out what is happening around us. My mother likes to start a conversation by asking me whether I know what is going on in the World currently, and most of the time, I find that I don't know. Then I try to justify myself by claiming that the reason for my lack of awareness of current affairs is because of the too-many commitments I have on hand. Which hardly counts for a valid reason, because in my mind, I know what's ultimately more important.

Something goes wrong at work and we feel that we are the most wronged people on earth. We complain, we ask ourselves why we do not receive appreciation in return for our hard work, and we turn into bitter people as a result. But maybe if we all opened our eyes more, then we would see that the troubles we are facing aren't so big after all. In the context of natural disasters and people in Third World Countries who do not have roofs over their head and wonder whether they'll live to survive just one more day, I'd say we are pretty fortunate and blessed people. But yet we fail to take this comparison into consideration even though it's staring at us straight in the face from what we read on the new media everyday. Are #firstworldproblems really problems at all?

不要哭讓螢火蟲帶著你逃跑, 鄉間的歌謠永遠的依靠
回家吧 回到最初的美好
(Don't cry, let the fireflies take you away, you will always find serenity in folk songs 
Go home, return to the sweet and carefree past)

Simplicity. Modern society has inevitably made everything complicated by nature, and sometimes complexity is good because it means that we are challenging ourselves to become better people. But what if complexity reached a whole new level and it has turned us into competitive, selfish empty vessels who find it difficult to judge right from wrong? Sometimes, all we need is a poke to remind ourselves that we need to make our lives more straightforward. Remember the days when we were kids and the ice-cream man on a scooter would park his vehicle below our HDB blocks and ring a bell? In 5 minutes, all the kids in the neighborhood would be queuing up to buy $1 ice-cream (I like chocolate flavor on rainbow bread) and then compete on who would be the first to finish? Or when we follow our parents to the market and there used to be those gachapon machines lined up in a row in front of the herbal medicine shops? We would exchange coins with the shop owner and then camp in front of those 'turn-turn machines', leaving with small toys (rubber balls, sweets, those Pokemon figurines that everybody hoped to get for 10 cents) and we would be happy for the entire week. We don't need the past to reconstruct itself in order to experience what it was like to be carefree when we were children. Simplicity can be recreated by anyone, and is reflected in the things you choose to do. Get off the computer and take a break from all that crazy essay writing, go take a walk at the reservoir at sunset, buy those 20 cents ice-pops and eat 3 at one go, create a playlist of your favorite  most embarrassing songs, pretend you're in the Kbox room and sing your hearts out, sleep at 10pm just for the fun of it, and set aside a day to do absolutely nothing. Simplicity has always been there, why not start embracing it again?  

不要這麼容易就想放棄 就像我說的
追不到的夢想 換個夢不就得了
(Don't give up so easily, just like what I said,
If the dream can't be reached, then just follow another dream)

We read on the newspaper about that occasional kid who throws his whole life away just because he has failed one test in elementary school. Failure hurts, and it hurts a lot. I've found myself many a time crying over lousy grades, feeling like I'm not good enough and always tempting myself to give up everything I have worked for because it's just 'not worth it', but where has that gotten me? Nowhere. Instead of throwing ourselves constant self-pity parties, why not do something with all that energy, pick yourself up and go at it doubly hard? I know it's easier said than done, but if we don't try, then the chances of grasping success is 0 anyway. We all have dreams, some of us even have ridiculously absurd dreams that we feel are impossible to achieve. But as many famous people say, nothing is impossible, impossible is nothing. (:

One song can be translated into so many lessons for us to bring back home, and that's the beauty of music. It speaks to the heart more honestly and more directly than any advice can ever do so.  

For some strange reason, I really liked this topic a lot. It was easy to write about, and I was really happy by the time I completed it. Gonna take a break today because I'm really exhausted from moving boxes after boxes of books at work, but I'll be back soon! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment